- Applications for the 2020-21 season are now closed. Late applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. You will be contacted with specific guidelines for your instrument.
- Due to COVID-19, we are accepting video auditions only.
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud-soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra)
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
You must prepare the required excerpt for your instrument listed below. If you are unfamiliar with these excerpts, we encourage you to listen to recordings of the piece and bring the excerpt to your private instructors or ensemble leaders for their input. Please contact email@example.com to request hard copies of the excerpts.
Audition adjudicators will be evaluating your performance based on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation