Auditions for the 2022-23 season:
- Applications for the OSYO 2022-23 season are now closed. We are currently accepting late auditions for viola, horn and percussion. Please contact youthorchestra@
oaklandsymphony.org for more details. You will be contacted with specific guidelines for your instrument.
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud-soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra)
2. Solo work
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
3. Orchestra Excerpts
You must prepare the required excerpt for your instrument listed below. If you are unfamiliar with these excerpts, we encourage you to listen to recordings of the piece and bring the excerpt to your private instructors or ensemble leaders for their input. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Rossini: mm 64 to 80mm; mm 139 to 150; mm 229 to 238
Audition adjudicators will be evaluating your performance based on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation