Auditions for the 2023-24 season:
- Applications for the OSYO 2023-24 season are still open for bassoon, horn, trumpet, percussion, and bass.
- Please contact youthorchestra@
oaklandsymphony.org for more details. You will be contacted with specific guidelines for your instrument.
- More information about OSYO.
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud-soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra)
2. Solo work
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
3. Orchestra Excerpts
You must prepare the required excerpt for your instrument listed below. If you are unfamiliar with these excerpts, we encourage you to listen to recordings of the piece and bring the excerpt to your private instructors or ensemble leaders for their input. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Violin – updated 6/7/2023
Rossini, Barber of Seville: Top of the page until one after rehearsal 9 and 6 after rehearsal 12 until end of page
Dvořák, Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No.2: Beginning until Letter C
Viola – updated 6/7/2023
Rossini, Barber of Seville: mm 25 (Allegro Vivace) to mm 82; mm 225 (Piu Mosso) until End
Dvořák, Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No.7 : Beginning until Letter B; Letter I until 8 before End
Rossini, Barber of Seville: mm 64 to 80mm; mm 139 to 150; mm 229 to 238
Rossini, Barber of Seville: mm 11 until Letter G; mm 191 until Letter K
Dvořák, Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No.2: Letter B until C; 7 after Letter D until E
Dvořák, Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No.7 : 12 before Letter H until End
Rossini, Barber of Seville: mm 6 until Letter A; mm 34 until mm 38; mm 92 until mm 99; mm 127 until Letter G
Dvořák, Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No.7 : Beginning until Letter B; 12 before Letter H until End
Rossini, Barber of Seville: Beginning until Letter A; mm 34 until mm 38; Letter C until 7 after Letter D; Letter F until G
Audition adjudicators will be evaluating your performance based on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation