2019-20 Audition Dates:
- Audition periods will extend through August 2019. You will be contacted regarding specific audition dates and dates for your instrument.
Location: Auditions are held at:Oakland Symphony Offices 1440 Broadway, Suite 405 Oakland, CA 94704
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note=60, with three notes per beat);
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note=60, with three notes per beat);
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios;
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert;
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert;
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud- soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra).
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
The orchestral excerpts for your instrument should be prepared by students. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request hard copies of the excerpts.
Your audition will be judged on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Rhythm Technique/Scales
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation