2020-21 Audition Dates:
- Auditions for the 2020-21 season will be held in late May to early June 2020 at Oakland Symphony Office. You will be contacted regarding specific dates for your instrument. Late applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- More details regarding specific scheduling will be posted in March 2020.
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note=60, with three notes per beat)
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note=60, with three notes per beat)
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud-soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra)
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
The orchestral excerpts for your instrument should be prepared by students. Please contact email@example.com to request hard copies of the excerpts.
Your audition will be judged on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Rhythm Technique/Scales
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation