Applications for the 2020-21 OSYO season are currently being accepted. Please fill out an Audition Application here. There is a non-refundable $35 application fee. More information about Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra and rehearsals can be found at General Information page.
2020-21 Audition Dates:
- Auditions for the 2020-21 season will begin after Friday, July 17th extending to Friday, July 31st, 2020. Due to the current Shelter-in-Place order, we will be accepting video auditions only. You will be contacted with specific guidelines for your instrument. Late applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Application deadline for auditions closes on Wednesday, July 15th. More details regarding specific scheduling will be provided via email.
- Violin & Viola: 3 octave C major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Cello: 3 octave F major with arpeggios (play scales quarter note = 60, with three notes per beat)
- Bass: 3 octave E major with arpeggios
- Brass: Bb and Ab Major concert
- Winds: A and Ab Major concert
- Harp: C major scale, hands together, at a comfortable tempo
- Percussion: concert snare drum roll (please bring snare) soft-loud-soft, 3 of the basic snare drum rudiments (flam, ruffs, paradiddles, etc), and a C Major scale on the glockenspiel (instrument provided by Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra)
One solo piece that represents both technical and expressive playing. Candidates should bear in mind that the Youth Orchestra performs standard (difficult) orchestral repertoire and your selection of solo material should reflect your readiness to perform at this level.
The orchestral excerpts for your instrument should be prepared by students. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request hard copies of the excerpts.
Your audition will be judged on the following criteria:
- Tone Quality
- Rhythm Technique/Scales
- Sight Reading
- Overall performance and preparation